Monday, March 13, 2006

Results 1 - 10 of 75,100,000 for bird flu



I have an ongoing debate with Nat about the legitimacy of Avian Bird Flu. Maybe it's my love of chicken or my brush with the dreaded SARS both physically (see photo or SARS buskers) and professionally but I'm adamant avian flu isn't going to kill 1/3 of the worlds population.

I know that there are plenty of reasons to be concerned. National Geographic had a cool article about migration corridors and let me tell you people, if you think you a long way from Guandong province (Chinese just north of Vietnam) the home of many dodgy nasties such as SARS and potentially Bird Flu, then you are well wrong. For the shocking truth check out http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/foto/EMPRES_Watch_global_flyways.gif

So yes it's possible, we could have a pandemic and all be in serious trouble. Is it probable? Is this something we should be worried about? Is the time bomb ticking? Will we get thrust back into the dark ages. If so I bags a spot on kangs yacht. 5 days and we are out of harms way on Lord Howe. I suggest you start planning your escape.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

think again. Lord Howe has 130 species of migratory birds.

10:16 am  
Blogger Lachlan Payne said...

Cathy -- the scientist -- informed me the other week that there is a 25-1 chance of Bird Flu reaching Australia in the next year.

And if it does ... it has a 50% death rate. Bear in mind that Spanish Flu, which killed something like 100 million people, only had a death rate of under 2%.

Be afraid -- be very afraid.

LP

5:00 pm  
Blogger Ev said...

Fine, 15 Days and we are in Samoa where I'm sure the government has come up with some form of immunisation program.

11:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there will be no bird flu in heaven

2:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home