Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike

There is nothing like riding past kilometre after kilometre of traffic that, if not for my bike, I would be stuck in. I, like many other Sydney siders, brave nasty traffic, disgruntled bus drivers and sometimes unpredictable weather to commute to work. One of the nicest things about the commute is riding up Parriwi hill with it's million dollar view and not a car within earshot.



My question today is why is Sydney (and in particular the government) so far behind most other developed cities in it's attitude towards cyclists? For a city facing mounting traffic and pollution problems and an obesity crisis to boot it just makes sense to encourage more people to ride to work. If a city as old and congested as London can make it happen I don't see any reason why Sydney can't make it happen too. If you're keen to save petrol, save money, save the environment and save on future medical health bills October 17th might be the day to give it a bash.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew + Jessica said...

Vancouver have dedicated 'local traffic only' streets that are dedicated bike routes that run paralell to the main traffic arteries, making it safe for cyclists.

Vancouver buses have bike racks on the front that take 2 bikes - they help facilitate cyclists who want to ride part way and get some help on the rest (like all the cyclists who take their bike on the Manly ferry). It's a great idea! I can put my bike on the bus when im rushed in the AM, heading up hill, dont want to get sweaty - then ride 40mins home down hill, get some exercise and have a shower when i get home.
I have told the State member for Manly of the idea, but no action so far - What's going on Mike??

1:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Kev I say "here, here" to your thoughts....I stopped my envirnomentally and health friendly habit of riding to work because I was scared of being driven over by a Mosman Mum in a black four wheel drive that has most likely never been off a tar road....sigh

2:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home