Sunday, January 15, 2006

First Fruits







OK so it's not exactly my first fruits as my champion little strawberry plants and beans have sporadically give me some love but my first full harvest is just around the corner! I don't understand the instinct that has driven me to not only cultivate my own veggies but also to give bee keeping a crack. I have two theories.

Theory 1 - I suspect the belated fears of Y2k or the impending threat of nuclear holocaust I read about in Z for Zachariah as a young lad have planted a seed in me that has grown to a full blown desire to at least be equipped for self sufficient should I be the last man on earth. (not the only irrational fear I harbour but unlikely to be the cause)

Theory 2 - More than likely I think my desire is born of a need to create and nurture, to build and see the work of my hands. My father left the corporate hierarchy to pursue a riskier yet more
rewarding small business where he was able to ply his trade, something I have always admired. No doubt I have inherited his same need to create and his project based gratification. Leads me to question why I didn't follow in his footsteps, oh well.

Whatever the cause I have found tilling the soil, laying out my garden, providing my plants with nutrients, mulch, water (on Wednesdays and Sundays) eradicating pests and waiting in anticipation has been a relaxing and rewarding experience. It's also been fascinating to see that there is a special bond amongst gardeners of all levels. Billabong summed it up best with "only a surfer knows the feeling". Whilst I refrain from comparing the value of each hobby I'm glad to say I now know both the
surfing AND the gardening feeling.

Anyway if you too survive the nuclear holocaust and you don't mind eating veggies and honey then come over to my place and we will drive up to Byron. Will be nice to have the pass to ourselves! Ev


2 Comments:

Blogger . said...

wasn't it ripcurl?

2:07 pm  
Blogger Ev said...

Nope, was billabong. Had posters all over my room.

http://images.google.com.au/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=%22only+a+surfer+knows+the+feeling%22&btnG=Search

2:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home